Thursday, February 26, 2009

Temporary Reprieve from Kickboxing Retirement

One of the gyms that I teach at was in desperate need of a kickboxing sub, and after mulling it over for a few hours I committed to teaching it. Was this a good idea? Would I be able to do it? Could I teach without jumping around? Would I pay dearly for it? It's been 13 months since I taught kickboxing. Heck, it's been 13 months since I taught anything in-studio. But I wanted to do it just to prove to myself that I could. I was a little nervous, hoping people would understand why I was modifying my moves and hoping they would still make the most out of their workout. So often participants follow EXACTLY what the instructor does. I mean to the point if I stopped to tie my shoe, they would, too--LOL.

It was awesome how everything came back to me. There were a couple times I found myself wanting to jump and go with the adrenaline rush, but my mind & body were very much aware that jumping around isn't in my best interest. I did however surprise myself with the ease and height of my kicks at times. It just felt natural.

It was good to see some of my former participants. Some have been with me since 2002! I had a great time, I felt great, and I couldn't believe how fast the hour went. I sure hope everyone enjoyed it! They gave me a little round of applause at the end, that made me feel really good. So even though I won't be taking over any kickboxing class, I can sneak a couple classes in a year and get my fix that way!

2 comments:

Cassie said...

How awesome! I'm jealous ... have thought of trying to become an instructor but am too intimidated. But I'm glad that's my excuse, not my hips anymore! Keep up the good work!
Cassie

Unknown said...

hey there :) you're still writing, i checked after such a long time and saw all the progress & set backs so far.

good to see you're writing and kicking n stuff :) I'm good, went to Prague for a week and now am back. Prague's a wonderful place, definitely a to-see-place on your list.