Saturday, July 26, 2008

Hip Scope Blues

Feb 08, hip scope complete.  Unfortunately the outcome is not as we had hoped.  2 tears were actually found and arthritis has set in as the joint has continued to deteriorate over the years.  

Arthritis=Huge Bummer!  To hear your doctor say "It' not good."  Is very devastating.  I'm told to give up all the forms of exercise I love so dearly.  No more kickboxing, no more multi-joint moves, no more jumping, no high reps, pretty much I'm limited to biking and water.  At the time it was like a death sentence.  

So I decide to buy a stationary bike and get use to the idea of riding.  I also dig in for 6 weeks of PT.  Now mind you, I was told this was going to be a minor surgery and I'd be able to get back to things 'at my own pace.'  Of course my own pace is usually break-neck speed, so I'm thinking piece of cake.  I never planned to be on crutches for 4 weeks, or to really struggle with some of the PT exercises.  What do you mean I have zero range of motion and am unable to lift my leg straight back?!

Week 4 post-scope, I ditch the crutches.  Life is good.  I have a whole new appreciation for my health and am just happy being able to take care of my family.  

Week 6 post-scope, I re-tear.  Up to this point, 2nd worst pain I've ever felt (child birth & being hit in the head with a softball=#1.)  And all I was doing was sitting on the couch.

Ultimately, Dr. Z becomes very concern that I may lose my hip.  He wants to do the PAO asap.  I try to fight him to wait until after summer. I'm determined to win.  2 weeks later of hobbling around and constant pain, I give.  In the end, Dr. Z squeezes me into his busy summer schedule and I have surgery on Saturday, July 19th.

No comments: