Saturday, July 26, 2008

Torn Labrum. Dysplasia. Now What?

Ok it's October 2007.  Dr. Z says the MRI- with dye injection confirms the larbum tear.  I'm also told the cartilage looks good, that there is not evidence of arthritis, and that my joint space is great. 

 Basically there are 2 options at this time:

1)  Hip Arthroscopy, aka Scope.  More conservative, less invasive approach that will allow Dr. Z to clean up the tear and further evaluate the joint.  This is recommended given that my pain is mainly in the groin and I have the symptoms associated with a torn labrum.  I'm told this will more than likely cure everything, but there I will be carefully evaluated for years to ensure the dysplasia has not been made more problematic from the scope.  What happens during a scope is that the torn cartilage is removed, creating joint instability that can lead to more problems.

2) PAO.  The mother of all hip surgeries.  Involves cutting the hip socket out of the pelvis and then screwing it back together in a way that better aligns the socket & femur, making movement fluid between the ball & socket and conserving the cartilage.  It's meant to preserve the hip joint.  It is not a hip replacement, which are not ideal for younger people as replacements only last a short time before needing revisions.  Someone my age could face 10+ hip revisions, each depleting the bone.

Well of course I choose option #1!  I have my hip scope on 2/5/08, and plan on taking 6 weeks off work.

No comments: