Monday, July 28, 2008

Look Ma, No Hands!


No, it's not me.  I'm still using 2 hands tightly on everything I touch.  It's my son who has found a new use for the CPM machine--weeee!  Hey, I'm just glad that someone is having fun with this thing that will cost us about $500 for two weeks.  Insurance doesn't see the necessity for hips, but has ok'd it for knees.  What exactly is a CPM machine?  It stands for Continuous Passive Motion, and it automatically moves my leg through a range starting at 0 (straight leg) to 80 degrees bent knee to prevent stiffness.  This has become an extension of my leg while sleeping, and believe me it's not very comfortable!  So far we spend about an hour before going to bed making adjustments to get it comfortable, and then I'm waking up around 2:30 am needing more adjustments--UGH!

If you look closely at the bottom picture you can check out my Millenial Crutches in the background.  They're a bit bulky for what I've been shown to do so far, but I know they'll be useful as I become more mobile.  You can also see my lovely TED tights on my feet to prevent clots.  I think I have another week of these things, nothing like wearing opaque tights in 80+ degree weather!!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello Danielle :)

My name is Usman Burki and I’m a colleague of Brian at Teradata. We actually worked together on Chrysler project.

I fairly recently came to know of your surgery and through your blog found out the details. It’s really good to see you recovering and getting back on your feet. I never really knew the details surrounding this procedure or the pain associated with it. I once broke my leg in an accident and was confined to my bed for 7 months straight so I almost know how it is like for you but I still believe you went through a lot more hardship … recovering is always tough.

Good that you’re getting better though! :) I would say that take it one step at a time and don't push too hard while recovering.

Take excellent care,
Usman

Unknown said...

OMG! This is great! :) Too cute!

Unknown said...

Does your camera have video? This is cute!!