Wednesday, December 10, 2008

She Did What?!

I got a little crazy today and laced up a pair of ice skates to hit the ice for the first time since January. The second I took to the ice I became a bundle of nerves, very aware of all the potential trip hazards that could cause a wipe out. As I was making my way around I couldn't help but think how ironic it is that last winter after surgery #1 I did everything possible to avoid ice, and here I was today voluntarily subjecting myself to slippery conditions. I took 4 laps around, with my right skate pressed firmly into the ice and letting my left (good) leg do the work. It felt good to do something normal, but it will be a while before I'm comfortable helping my 2 1/2 year old glide around on his skates (he's still a beginner.)

1 comment:

DW said...

I am a 63 year old male and have had both hips replaced twice over the past 25 years. There is no such thing as "getting back to normal" with an artificial hip. It is like living with a rattlesnake in your pocket. Don't annoy it. Doctors, for some reason, never seem to stress the tenuous nature of a chunk of metal jammed inside your femur. The most dangerous condition for a person with an artificial hip is when that person feels comfortable with the prosthesis and is pain free. This causes you to lose focus. That is the time when most people with a prosthesis do stupid things such as play tennis, racquetball or ice skate. One fall, sudden twist or jam and it is all over for the pain free implant. And the second one is much more sensitive than the first. But your doctor will probably not dwell on these things.