Sunday, October 12, 2008

12 Week Update

I have to share what I did yesterday, this is so cool . . .First I started with my 30 minute/10 mile ride on the exercise bike. Then being the fabulous day it was outside, my son was able to convince me to take him for a little spin around the block on a real bike. We have one of those bike trailer/chariot looking things that you pull behind the bike. I was nervous at first, but once we got going we toured the whole neighborhood. After making it back to the house we took a walk around the block, all with no pain or limp! It was great to be out and about, and to think I've only been without a cane for a week!

So at 12 weeks I'm definitely back into the full swing of things--childcare, house cleaning, running errands. I still have problems putting my socks on, and getting in & out of the car usually requires me to move the seat back. When moving through my PT motions I sometimes experience a discomfort that stops me in my tracks; straight leg raises, 1 leg squats, & lunges are very challenging. I have yet to sleep on my operated side, although I suspect I could for a little while. I have made no attempt at any kind of running motion (not sure if I ever will with exception of an emergency), and I'm still getting use to massaging the scars.

At this point and time I can tell you the pain is gone, but range of motion is still limited. PT says they can get me to 'functional' range, although not the norm. If it allows me to lead a semi-active, pain-free life then it will all be worth it.

1 comment:

Cassie said...

So happy to hear your progress! Keep up the good work!