Wednesday, October 1, 2008

I'm Still Waiting . . .

After my first hip surgery this past February I was on crutches for 4 weeks. Those seemed like 4 very long weeks at the time, but nothing compared to the 10 1/2 weeks so far this second time around. But what I remember most about surgery #1 is that after those 4 weeks were up and I was set free to walk on my own, I was the happiest, most laid-back person on the face of the planet. To the point my husband said I was a new person. I didn't have a care in the world other than being able to walk and care for my family, and it was a fabulous.

The one thing I was looking forward to with surgery #2 was gaining that amazing 'love of life' feeling again. To date, it's eluded me. I'm feeling cranky, irritable, and unmotivated these days. It's just been a long road and I'm ready to move on. I'm still limited in movements I can do pain-free. Basic things like taking the garbage out or getting in/out of the car can bring on a lot of pain. But these things don't stop me. I have to find ways to get things done, so I do what I have to do. In the mean time, I'm still waiting for my renewed love of life, hoping it won't be too much longer.

5 comments:

Marina said...

Why is it taking so much longer this time around?

Eczema Mom said...

It's taking so much longer as these were 2 different surgeries on the same hip. #1 was just a scope to clean up 2 tears. Surgery #1 lasted 6 weeks before a re-tear. Surgery #2 was the PAO.

Marina said...

Wow - that doesn't sound like fun. Hope you heal soon!

Unknown said...

Hang in there - you aren't a quitter! You've made more progress than most people with PAOs at this stage. :)

Cassie said...

I hope the good feelings come around for you soon.
I had the same feelings after my first PAO -- completely carefree and thrilled to be able to walk. I've had so many comments from co-workers and friends about my positive change in attitude. Now, preparing for my second PAO next month, I'm also clinging to the hope of that feeling returning once the initial recovery is over.
Lots of luck, and take care.
Cass