Friday, October 3, 2008

I'm an Addict

Seriously, I'm addicted to working out. And not to just working out, but to sweat. Must be that rush of adrenaline, but once I start I can't get enough. For instance, this morning I jumped on the stationary bike, cranked up my ipod, and started my heart rate monitor. It's the heart rate monitor that can send me over the top, and here's why: I'm pedaling along at about 80 rpms with a heat rate (HR) of 145. No where near close to the 175-190 HR I could get while teaching kickboxing. So I add upper body strength moves using a resistance band and next thing I know, my HR is in the 170s. How cool is that?! It's like mini-interval training--a few sets of back (HR 174), rest (HR 155), chest (HR 175), rest (HR 160), etc. The key is to keep the cadence up and focus on form all at the same time. Once I've had enough of the resistance band, I throw in some upper body kickboxing moves like jabs & upper cuts. I figure if I'm destined to ride a bike for the rest of my life, it has to be interesting. I'm going to work on a developing a circuit program where I ride for 'X' period of time, jump off and do push ups, ride, sit ups, ride, etc. That will be a good way at breaking up the monotony. By the end of my work out today I rode 32 minutes and 10 miles, then threw in some PT moves such as bridges alternated with sit-ups, straight leg lifts, side clam things, and squats into toe-raises. Of course now as I'm sitting here typing I have about 5 pounds of ice on the front, side, and back of my hip. Ok, so maybe I overdid it, but it felt good at the time.

I also have to add that I had the pleasure of meeting up with a fellow hip chick yesterday. Very cool! It was nice to put a face to someone I feel like I've gotten to know well. Her surgery was scheduled after mine. She thanked me for all the advice, but really I appreciated being able to share my new found knowledge and feeling useful when there was so much I couldn't do at the time.

1 comment:

Marina said...

Every time I go to the gym these days I get sad that I won't be able to do the things I can do for a long time after surgery. I might go crazy without sweating it out on a machine =/