Wednesday, October 8, 2008

"Mommy, You Can Walk!"

Some of the most precious words I've ever heard from my son as he realized I was walking on my own, "Mommy, you can walk!" Dang right I can! I'm at 11 1/2 weeks post-PAO now, and ditched the crutches and canes over the weekend. Not really by design, but as I went to the store I realized I left my cane at home and well, that was that. I haven't even needed it towards the end of long days when my leg tends to tire. I'm still cautious when in public, as I feel the cane offered me some protection or at least people would be careful around me and not expect me to be able to move in certain ways. But none-the-less it feels great to be on my own with both hands free and going about business as usual.

I'm still a frequent visitor to PT, which they now have me trying to progress to single leg presses. The first time I attempted this move I was shocked at how I couldn't hold my operated leg up by itself while my good leg did the work. There's still lots of work to be done but things are coming along. The best thing is that I have very little pain, if any, and walking & biking are done pain-free! As for my scars, my surgeon did a fabulous job as the scars are just a flat line (no more peaks!) which I'm suppose to massage daily to reconnect the nerve endings.

Oh, another really cool thing is that I finally started wearing jeans again. I guess I waited so long as I was afraid of the uncomfortableness of the waist band cutting right across the incision. Happy to say this hasn't been a problem. It feels great to feel normal again!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

excellent !! normal life's coming back :)