Saturday, September 27, 2008

10 Week Update

So here I am, 10 weeks post PAO surgery. I have more good days than bad. Sometimes there's no pain, and then there's days like yesterday where I could barely take one step as my knee, or the muscles that attached to my knee, hurt so bad that I was almost in tears. I am still trying to ditch all walking apparatuses as I still rely on a cane, with the exception when my 2-year old decides I need extra rehab and hides it on me. So yes, I can get away without it for short periods of time. There's also days when I can handle stairs like a pro, and days when I have to take one step at a time. Sometimes it's not even 'days', more like 'moments.'

My PT program has been kicked up a notch. I'm leg pressing 80 pounds, and am able to balance on one leg and bring the other knee up towards hip level. I saw the RPMs on my bike hit 90! It's so cool to be ale to bike without any pain what so ever.

The hardest part of the last couple weeks has been keeping up with one very active boy. We're working on potty training, and that in itself can be a daunting task. Basically I'm to the point where I can do most things on my own, and if I can't do it I find a way. I think it's a mom thing, you just have to do what you have to do. That being said, if you're not sure as to have kids first or to have this surgery---HAVE THE SURGERY FIRST!!!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

sorry i've been away for a while :) but i've read up all your posts and all in all i'm really happy to see you doing well :) bad days come with good days hopefully to give way, someday, to only good ones.
your trip to the dentist and the family there ... yeah I wrestle with such moments as well.at times i'm pissed at something in my life and then i see someone like that. its like a reality check for me, just a little jab in the jaw, telling me to be thankful for who i am and for what i've got.

Eczema Mom said...

Usman- I've been wondering where you have been! How's Finland?

Unknown said...

:) Finland is really really nice. I've got Angela here with me working on the same project so that's extra cool. Eric is planning to visit so that's even more so cool :) Fall colors are every where and its totally beautiful. This weekend we went to an Island called Suomenlinna (a world heritage site) and it was a beautiful view overlooking the Sea. I like this place but i truly miss my time in the US and can't wait to come back :)

clshala said...

Sounds like you are doing fantastic! Leg pressing 80 lbs is impressive. Btw, I agree with your tip about having surgery before kids. I was so surprised when a top doc told me to go ahead and have a kid to see if it makes my hips better. What if it doesn't?#!?

Love your story about the dentist. Both hilarious and thought provoking.