Thursday, September 18, 2008

2 Month Update

I've been avoiding my blog for the last few days as I try to get a handle on this recovery.  The initial pain of trying to get down to one crutch really put a scare into me as the pain was reminiscent of my pre-surgery days.  On top of it, there's been some muscle spasms,  and general soreness in the quads and at the site were the joint capsule has been opened up twice this year.  So needless to say, I've been a bit nervous and a little apprehensive about my progress.  But I am happy to report that I am making progress, although it seems so slow coming.

I have been weight bearing for 2 whole weeks now, and am finally down to one crutch all of the time.  On most days I ride the bike for 30 minutes on some combination of levels 1, 2, and 3. I'm thrilled that level one has become way too easy, but I'm still looking forward to the day I break a sweat!  My RPMs are steadily in the 60s & 70s (only a few weeks ago I was in the 30s!)  Yesterday I woke up and felt like I could take some steps on my own, so I tried it.  Guess what, I could do it!  I definitely have a limp and the steps weren't very big, but I still did it!  Today at PT I was reintroduced to the leg press, although I was very uncomfortable with the idea and kept it on the very light side.  I also worked on step ups (which I really have some work to do), and I tried straight leg raises which I couldn't do at all.  Weird thing is that the PT seemed pleased with my attempt, guess my quads were contracting and I was almost there but it sure didn't feel like it.  Oh yeah, I'm also doing a sitting leg extension with a 1 pound weight-- A ONE POUND WEIGHT-- and I can totally feel it.  That's kind of a bruise to the ego considering what I use to put my body through.

The good old mental aspect has been taking a bit of a toll on me these days.  Yes, there are improvements, but I've never been a very patient soul and this waiting to get better is getting a bit stale.  And as new soreness sets in, my mind can't help but wonder if I've re-injured something--but usually the new pain subsides after a day or two.  I am also starting to wonder if I'll ever get to the level of teaching again, but fortunately I have months to figure that out.

There are some victories to report:
  • I'm now driving all over town--sweet freedom!  
  • I can handle most of my mommy duties, still can't chase after him!
  • I'm able to kneel & get down on the floor
  • I can shower standing up
  • If I'm sitting, I can stand up without holding on to anything
  • I've walked around stores that didn't have scooters
September 16th was my original surgery date.  Let me tell you, I am so glad to be 2 months into recovery rather than 2 days out from surgery.  I've come a long way over those 8 1/2 weeks.  I know it will only continue getting better, I just have to keep reminding myself!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

KEEP CHARGING AHEAD!!! =)