Friday, September 5, 2008

7 Weeks and Seeing the Light

Yep, week 5 was definitely a turning point for me both physically and mentally.  Things keep getting better and easier, especially now that I've been given permission to weight bear.  The other day I went to the doctors, went out to lunch, and scooted around at both Target and the grocery store all in one day and without any naps in between!  That would have been unheard of a couple weeks ago.

I had my first PT appt since being told to kick my workouts up a notch.  Measurements were taken to gauge ranges and strength, and there were times when I had absolutely zero range of motion.  I know I've said it before, but it really is a terrible feeling when your brain is saying 'do this!' and you're physically unable to, and it really brought up some emotions when I was told that I will never reach normal levels in some aspects but they will work with me so that I can be within a functional range.  I know it could be worse, but it still sucks hearing that.  The good news is that I was able to tell the PT that my pain has been virtually at zero!!

I'm trying to get to the gym every other day.  Today I rode 30 minutes on the recumbent (levels 1 & 2), then I tried the sitting leg abductor & adductor machines on the lowest weight (10 lbs). I was scared at first, but after I got going 10 lbs felt easy.  I was able to do upper body with free weights (thank you to the nice guy who brought the weights over to a bench for me!), and just for giggles I threw in some Bosu pushups since it's been 7 weeks since I've done anything like that. Wasn't exactly easy to get down on the floor in position, but I managed.  Oh yeah, then I came home and napped!

We had more food delivered by some wonderful friends today.  We're so thankful for people taking the time and energy to take care of us, we're very lucky.  After dinner, we headed to the mall where my hubby wheeled me around in my chair.  I could have crutched it, but it was much faster and comfortable that way.  We also splurged on Sander's cream puffs and root beer floats, it was delicious but OMG I'm getting so squishy!

Tomorrow I'm going to pretend I'm 12 years old and sit in the car and act like I'm driving.  I need to see if I have enough muscle control to move my leg from the gas to the brake, and then enough strength to apply the brakes.  Wouldn't be so bad if I could use my left foot to brake, but we happen to have a stick and right now we only have one car--figures.  Then Sunday I'm going to have to wear real clothes to a friend's baptism.  No workout clothes or boxer shorts allowed.  Hopefully I'll get lucky and find something appropriate and comfortable.  Ah, the little things we take for granted.


No comments: