Sunday, September 21, 2008

It's the Little Things

It's the little things I'm doing at random that give me hope that life has a chance of returning to normal.  Take right now for instance, I'm sitting with my left foot tucked under my right (operated) leg.  This would have been  unheard of just a short time ago.  I also notice that I'm getting away from some of the rules PT originally gave me, like when taking the stairs to start with the bad leg to go down and good leg to go up.  And I was able to do a straight leg lift on my own today, something I couldn't do 2 days ago.

This weekend I also started using a cane on my own around the house, as I'm so tired of the bulky crutch.  I did use the cane today for the first time out in public, but I was really self conscience of it given the way people looked at me (or maybe it's the way I perceived people looking at me?)  They're probably not use to seeing someone my age with an old man's cane.  It is quite unattractive, aluminum with a black handle; but what can I say, as it was my dad's after his knee replacement.  I thought about having my son decorate it with stickers, anything would be an improvement!

No comments: