Monday, September 8, 2008

Bye Bye Foot Numbness

Ever since week 3 I've been having problems with my right foot being numb and my leg turning cold and  purple.  Just after surgery my doc informed me that due to the way my femoral nerve is structured I may always experience numbness in my thigh, so I thought all this may be related.  I'm told most people's nerve is vertical, but mine does a little zig-zag.  Guess that makes me special.  The way it was explained is that this nerve is about the width of 3 hairs and they use this crowbar-like tool to pull it and the muscles aside which can lead to some inflammation (geez, no wonder.)

At my 6-week appointment I was offered some nerve drugs, but I opted to wait it out and see if applying weight would make a difference.  And I'm happy to report that it has!  Coloring has returned to normal and most of the numbness has subsided.  I notice that first thing in the morning that my heel now feels like pins & needles, but that goes away after I get moving, and when I'm at rest my second toe now is numb.  I'm sure this will all go away with time.  It just re-affirms that I have to get the muscles firing up and things will start to fall in place.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

good to hear about all the positive progress :) keep us in the loop.