Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Weight Bearing, About to be Reality?

Today was the appointment I've been looking forward to, 6 weeks post-op.  After a series of X-Rays (on new equipment that delivers half the radiation--still too bad that I had that darn CT Scan a couple weeks ago!), Dr. Z. declared that my bones have healed!  Sweet music to my ears.  That means I can start the process of weight bearing.  I say 'process' because it's not like my muscles are ready to go and I can miraculously walk unassisted.  But just as soon as I could jump off the exam table I started walking with more weight on my right leg.  Immediately I felt soreness in my knee and rear, reminding me that these muscles haven't been used in a month and a half and it's going to take some time.

Dr. Z predicts that I'll be crutching it for another 4-weeks.  This is a little longer than most that have had the same procedure, but because I didn't go into the PAO at the top of my game thanks to my failed scope that left me hobbling for 5 months it's going to take a couple extra weeks.  Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but I will eventually get to where I need and want to be.  When all is said and done I will have spent 15 weeks on crutches this year-UGH!

So what's next?  I go back to PT tomorrow with the goal of strengthening the muscles and ditching the crutches.  I can also start doing more on my own in the gym, including using that silly abductor & adductor machine that I always make fun of, and I can start water walking which I think will have the most impact if previous experience holds true.  All is good.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

it's all good news and i'm glad to hear it :)

Susan said...

Great news Danielle!
You are so on your way.
I am actually getting ansy to start this PROCESS. Looks like it requires patience, but it pay off, eh?!
That Ira is somthing, huh? The more I talk to him the more I realize how lucky we are that we don't have to travel to get such expert care.
Would love to hear from you.
Feel free to email me at: witus@aol.com.
Keep blazing the path...I'm right behind ya. -Susan