Friday, August 8, 2008

3 Weeks Down & I'm On My Way!

Another week has passed, and I find myself even more thankful for the random everyday things I use to take for granted.  I continue to make mini accomplishments, enjoying every second of them!  What you asked?

1)  I just soaked in the tub! Mind you I have a deeper garden tub making the entry & exit all the more challenging, but I'd do it again in a heart beat.  Every bit of me got a little relief, from my throbbing big toe (from when I had to schooch my foot to take a step), to my ankles, knees, of course my hip, back, shoulders, arms, and neck.  It's amazing how every muscle is involved with each step I take.
2) Sleeping on my side for 1-2 hours at a time, with a king pillow down the length of my legs for support.
3) Shopping at Target.  The whole family ventured out to Target first thing this morning, and it was awesome.  Not because I got to drive the scooter, but because I'm use to frequenting that store on a weekly basis and it felt good to be out (and I only ran into 2 displays!)
4) Going to the doctor's.  Now mind you my doc isn't in a normal office, he's in a HUGE hospital, and I conquered the walk to & from all on my own.  Going there I thought I'd use a wheelchair, but due to my general fear of cooties and trying to hurry to get my dad to the golf course on time I made the trek on my own.
5) Enjoying the outdoors.  My wonderful friend loaned me a wheelchair, and it is so nice to have my husband push me around the block with my little boy sitting in my lap.  This kid hasn't sat still in months, so I secretly relish in the moment =)

It's crazy how even answering the phone that's across the house, or the knock at the door make for such a challenge, or how making a bowl of cereal involves so many steps.  But you do what you have to.  I'm able to water some of my flowers with this silly water bottle holder that goes around my neck, and I've changed some diapers and helped with bathing my child.  I also need to mention that I'm down to 1 pain pill per day, still trying to get to zero.

While this week has been very challenging due to my husband going back to work, I have found I've been able to do more than I than I've ever thought I'd be able to at this point.  I'm pretty much able to fend for myself (although not for my son), but with help it is much easier.  I've been so fortunate for my parents, in-laws, cousin, neighbors, and friends for taking such an interest and taking care of me and my family--THANK YOU =)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

:D ... running into displays :p i've seen those scooters. I wonder how fast can they go? Don't try and find out though lolz Brian would beat me crazy if he knew I put this idea into your head :p

It's nice to see progress made week after week after week. It’s funny huh … that there are so many things we take for granted around us and then something happens and we start seeing things differently.

Also I’ve visited your home and your neighborhood is really peaceful so I can well imagine how wonderful it would have felt going out:)

Stay well and positive + keep writing :)

Brian said...

There is something about a good trip to Target that really does wonders for the soul. :) Make sure to let me know next time you are going. I want to see how dangerous you are on the motorized scooter thingie.

All my best to you in your recovery. Will watch this space.

-Brian Roelofs

clshala said...

Thanks again for welcoming me to hipwomen. It sounds like you are doing really well for only 3 weeks out! Hope things continue to get easier by the day.

How is your foot? I hope you were able to reach a doctor today. Take care.

Christine