Thursday, August 21, 2008

Wow, I Needed That!

My 2nd visit to PT today was a huge relief;  I left there feeling a lot better both physically and mentally!  Why was it such a big deal?  Well, after last week's visit to the ER I have made absolutely zero progress and it's been kinda wearing on me.  I've been too afraid to hit the gym to ride the recumbent bike as I just didn't know what to expect.  I think I just needed the controlled environment of PT to prove to myself that it will be okay.  Now I'm ready to dig in.

I actually rode the bike for two sets of 10 minutes, pedaling at a whopping speed of 35 rpms and about 2 1/2 miles total.  Ok, so it's not the 100 rpms that I'm use to, but my hip felt so good going through that range of motion that I'm really encouraged to keep it up.  I haven't done anything cardiovascular-wise in over 5 weeks, so this is a really big deal! I have hopes of one day breaking a sweat.  I also worked on this heel slide move, and then I rolled on to my stomach and brought my heel to my rear.  The first one I did way too fast, and boy did that not feel so good.  But the bigger deal was that I was on my stomach. Once again, something I haven't done since the day before surgery.

So all-in-all I'm encouraged.  I'm still no where near close to driving, but as I learned through my last PT go 'round, things start to go fast once the muscles fire back up.  I hope to conquer the gym this weekend, more on that later as I'm off to take a nap to recoup.