Monday, August 11, 2008

The Adventures of PT

So I ventured into familiar territory today as I started physical therapy for the second go-round this year. I've already clocked 8 weeks for my scope in February. Basically I'm back at square one, or maybe it's negative 50. Whatever it is I'll be there for many, many more weeks. But this is all a very good thing, and I'm starting about a month sooner than I thought I would, so I'm happy.

First & foremost I need to get driving! In order to do so I need to be able to lift my leg more than the 2 cm I'm currently able to get my foot off the ground. It's so crazy how my brain is saying "Lift!", but nothing happens. It's all about reprogramming the nerve sensors. So rule number one is to do what I can unassisted, and then use my hands to move my leg as needed. Little by little I'll get there. On a very cool note I was able to ride the recumbent bike for 5 whole minutes, mind you I probably averaged 5 rotations per minute but I still did it. I was also told to start massaging the scar and giant numb area on my leg to get things firing up again. I'll do it, but I won't like it--it feels like 100 shots of Novocain have been injected into my thigh and everything feels odd and droopy. Speaking of droopy, my quad muscles have turned inward if that's even possible. There is absolutely no muscle definition, they've pretty much have become a flap in the wind. Guess it will definitely give me something to measure progress against.

On a very weird turn of events, my mom & I are now going to PT together--her for her back, and me for my hip. Some moms & daughters might go shopping, or to the movies together. But not us, we go to PT. She was going to have to drive me anyways, now she has something to do instead of just wait I guess.

So what's on the agenda this week? Blood draw tomorrow (hopefully the last!), my cousin is also coming back tomorrow to help with the boy for a couple days (thank GOD!), more PT, more baseball watching, and thankfully the Olympics are on to switch things up a bit! Seriously, that is my week besides eating, sleeping, cha'robics, and the internet. Boredom has definitely set in.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

lolz ;) I can totally understand the feeling of your brain telling your foot to "Lift!" but it doing otherwise.

During my PT recovering from a broken leg I faced the exact samething and I just couldn't move my leg ... could wiggle my toes though lolz

Also, that’s cute :) you’re mother and yourself going to physical therapy together lolz funny too ;)